Other Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

One Year Adventure Novel


 (This was not sponsored by them, I'm just enjoying it. This is sort of a review, in a way)

I've heard several things about the One Year Adventure Novel, practically all of them good. When my mother offered to buy me the curriculum, I wanted to see what it was all about, so I accepted.
There's pros and cons to this curriculum, with my writing status. Since I've written quite a bit, I know quite a bit about POV, theme, and plot. Unfortunately, this curriculum assumes that you don't know anything about that. The way he introduces the lesson is deciding what kind of story to write. His story writing process is something like this (this is with my commentary):

1. Decide what kind of story you're going to write, adventure (Lord of the Rings), romance (Pride and Prejudice), or self change (A Christmas Carol).
2. Decide the POV (First or third, second is awkward. For the curriculum, you're supposed to write in first person because it's easier.)
3. Choose your hero (You're supposed to create your hero to be within two years of your age. For me, the hero would be 15-19. Ulysses is twenty. Um.)

(For comparison, my writing process goes something like this:

1. Come up with a concept
2. Create the protagonist. Usually for me, the protagonist and the plot come together at about the same time, as one usually influences the other.
3. Write out a brief (verryyy brief) idea of what's going to happen in said story. Choosing POV often happens after I start writing.)

That's as far as I've gotten so far, sadly. Needless to say, it is for beginners, but maybe that's where you are in writing, and that's okay! If you can get the curriculum, I highly recommend it.

Would you like to use a curriculum to write a story? What does your story idea process look like?